The following January 2005, I started co-presenting For Immediate Release: The Hobson and Holtz Report with my friend and colleague Shel Holtz. At that time, I lived in Amsterdam, The Netherlands; with Shel in California, USA, we connected and recorded our podcast via Skype.
Today, I’m in the UK but Skype is still the means by which Shel and I connect to do our show every Monday.
Since that first episode in January 2005, we’ve build FIR into a series, which today comprises the following six distinct podcasts:
- FIR: The Hobson & Holtz Report – a weekly show recorded on Mondays with commentary and opinion at the intersection of online communication, business and technology.
- FIR Live – an occasional live call-in show that started at BlogTalk Radio where a topical issue is up for discussion by the two co-hosts and usually a panel plus listeners who add an opinion in the chat room. Today, FIR Live has evolved into a live video show, using Google+ Hangouts On Air.
- FIR Cuts – occasional clips from the virtual cutting room floor of The Hobson & Holtz Report.
- FIR Interviews with newsmakers and influencers from the online technology and organizational communication worlds.
- FIR Book Reviews aligned with our theme of PR/communications and the online world.
- FIR Speakers and Speeches – occasional podcasts of speeches, keynote addresses, breakout sessions, and other recordings from meetings and conferences of interest to PR and communication professionals.
FIR has evolved into much more than just a hobby as it was in the early days: it’s still a labour of love and we have sponsors:
- Lawrence Ragan Communications – Serving communicators worldwide for over 35 years.
- CustomScoop – Save time with the CustomScoop online clipping service: sign up for your free two-week trial.
- Until the end of 2012, Pollstream – Helping you transform your communications goals into exciting strategies that will enable you to engage, educate and inform your customers and employees online.
In the summer of 2007, McGraw-Hill published How To Do Everything With Podcasting, a 360-page book that walks you step by step through the whole process of creating, publishing and promoting your own podcast. Much of what we experienced and learned from doing our own podcast informed our thinking when we wrote this book.
FIR has a vibrant community of listeners across the social web to discuss topics of interest to other listeners. For more about that topic, and podcasting generally, check this PowerPoint presentation that I used in a podcasting masterclass workshop at the Like Minds conference in May 2012.
If you haven’t listened to any FIR podcast, I hope you try one out. And contribute a comment if you wish.
- Related: blog post on marking the milestone of FIR’s eighth year and counting on January 3, 2013.